Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Story of Jack

It seems like I have been guilty of Blog Neglect, but to tell you the truth I have been extremely busy working on a special project.  I will be blogging about this project later this month. 


From the beginning I have always wanted to tell the Story of Jack.  He is the reason I started this blog and will forever have a special place in my heart.  He resided at the Bangor Humane Society for almost three months and I could not understand why he was not being adopted.  The problem was he was a great dog outside the shelter, but put his worst foot forward when in his kennel.  After over a month of spending time with Jack, I was asked to write a profile and it was suggested that maybe a blog would help.  I wrote the profile (see below) and Jack was adopted before the blog could be started.  This is his story:

How do I behave while I'm at the Littlefield home?  Well, very well.  Here are just a few of the things I've done on my visits:
v     First of all, I love riding in the car.  I sit up like a big dog.  Although once you go over 40 mph, I quickly lay down and fall to sleep.  Usually I like putting my head in the driver's lap.  That's okay, because she does not mind.  If this were something that bothered you, I don't mind curling up in my seat and taking a siesta.  I have been picked up from the shelter just to go for a ride to Ellsworth which was very relaxing.

v     Walks - I love walks.  At first the Littlefield's were timid about bringing me where there would be other people and dogs.  But once they got over their fear, every thing has been great.  I am always very curious around other dogs.  I have not done any nose to nose with them, but I did have a dog come charging at me wanting to play.  The Littlefield's were very nervous - I was very curious and kind of wanted to meet this dog.  Then we saw a puppy and let it pass us while I sat and watched.  Of course the Mrs.  got to talking and I wanted to continue walking.  I had seen enough of that little dog, but on our return I wanted to see more of her.  Then came the runner and we just sat and watched.  Oh did I mention the deer on the bike path that would not leave or the skunk in the back yard?  Well, I was extra good and all it took was a little jerk of the leash and I followed in the other direction.

v     Treats - what can a dog say?  They are the best!!!  They give them to me and sometimes take them away.  I think this is a test and I think I pass it all the time.  I would love to play the tug game, but they are not keen on this game.  Now when they say out, I realize that they don't mean tug.

v     Sleep - I love my naps.  I have also recently been spending some nights, which I really like.  I normally will sleep on the blanket on the floor, but recently have been invited to sleep on the couch.    I love curling up next to her and being patted, but I am not obnoxious about it.  Although I'm affectionate, I am not a kisser.

v     Stairs - I do NOT do stairs.  Maybe you can train me, but they kind of wig me out.  But I can walk backwards and I think that is really cool.

v     I am strong, but do not pull unless I see something very interesting.  I do not mind my harness and I know it will help you keep me under control in these few situations.

v     The most important thing about me is that I know my manners and I know that no means no!!!


     As a reminder, Jack has been adopted.  I was not sure that I could continue volunteering after he was adopted, because I knew there would never be another dog like him.  That is correct, but there are many other dogs and I have fallen for more than one.  Each adoption is bittersweet for me.  I am overjoyed that a dog has found it's forever home, but each dog has touched my heart and will be forever missed.






No comments:

Post a Comment